It was a bad idea from the start.. “Hey, it’s Saturday and we need to get out of the house.. let’s go to Walmart or something”.
Yeah, great idea.. 4 stores and $200+ later we’re heading home with a brand new Keurig coffee machine. Talk about your impulse purchase eh?
Ok, truth be told I love the coffee maker so I wanted to let you know why we bought one of those instead of the others.. as they all had advantages and disadvantages over the other – but what really separates them all is what you plan on doing with it.
The Coffee Machine Comparison
My original thought was to go with the Tassimo. Of course, it also helps that we were at Walmart and I believe that’s the only one that they sell there. Standing in the isle of the coffee section I looked like a big moron using my iPhone to look up the reviews online and some of the benefits and drawbacks of the Tassimo. The advantages? Well.. one glaring benefit – cappuccinos, espressos and lattes. At first this sounded like a no-brainer, I love those specialty coffee drinks every so often, and the Keurig doesn’t do that.. let’s get it! Well, Liz wanted to do some price checking, so off to Sears we went.
Sears is pretty good in their coffee maker selection and had all three of the top brands in front of us to try to decide. I believe we spent at least 45 minutes going back and forth and reading, checking out, price checking, etc..etc.. This was our first look at the different Keurig and Dolce Gusto machines.
The Keurig machine was the one I’ve seen most often, we head to “Timothy’s” on University avenue every so often and I see all the different types of coffees that they sell for the Keurig in there, and I’ve just generally seen them all over the place. “So what’s the benefit?” I thought.. well, one HUGE benefit which ended up winning me over by a long margin. The ability to brew your own coffee.
Sure, you needed to purchase another product called “My K-cup” which was $15-ish dollars, but that was small beans compared to the fact that I’d be able to continue purchasing my Tim Hortons or Robins grinds for $6. This also meant that after the initial cost of the machine, my “cost per cup” would only increase very slightly due to the fact that I likely would be using a bit more coffee with the “My K-Cup” filling it up every day.. perhaps I wouldn’t use more, I’m really not sure. In the end however, this feature won me over any of the others. Truthfully, I’d have gone with one of the other machines if they offered this feature.
The Dolce Gusto from Nescafe was the new kid on the block and looked pretty funky from a design perspective. The benefits to it were the fact it could do certain cold drinks, plus something about the pressure that it produced in compared to the others. Unfortunately, no brewing my own coffee – so I really never gave it a second thought.
My Coffee Maker
So, I’ve had the Keurig for a few days now. I have to admit that I was almost as excited to use this sucker than I was for the iPad I purchased a few weeks ago.. isn’t that nuts? I’m not sure why.. but I can tell you that I’m still excited to use it.
The version we purchased was the B60 Special Edition. This version had 3 choices of cup sizes (although all of them seem small to me), but I’ll go into that in a minute.
There are some drawbacks to the Keurig that I have come across:
- Largest cup size is too damn small. I’m used to filling up my ‘togo’ cup in the morning, however I figured out a workaround, simply brew a medium and a small one after the other. Seems to give me the same amount of coffee I’m used to without too much taste compromise.
- Waste. I think I’ve been recycling too long, but all those K-Cups seem very wasteful to me. Fortunately I’m using the my My K-Cup which reduces any plastic waste – but let’s face it, I’m going to use a lot of those K-Cups as well.. c’mon, let’s get a recyclable product for this.
- Cost. This holds true with any of the coffee makers. Obviously when I did the math with how much I was paying per cup before with the French press, it was pennies.. maybe $0.10 a cup. With the Keurig, most of the 18 packs are around $12.. so not even taking taxes into account, it’s increasing the cost to about $0.66 a cup.. which can get pricey if not using the My K-Cup, which barely increases existing costs.
- Addiction. I just thought of this, but man have I drank a lot of coffee since we bought this machine, it’s not such a bad thing as I’m sure there are worse vices out there – but yeah, convenience is there, so I take advantage.. touching up photos in the evening, you can bet there’s a cup of joe right next to me. Perhaps this should be in the benefits column as well?
- My version has a timer. What that means is that I can set it to start heating up the hot water at 7AM and when I get to the machine, it’s ready to go. It also shuts down at 8AM so Liz has a chance to get her coffee as well. This saves energy and is a great feature.
- Quick. From press of a button to steaming cup of coffee in less than a minute. Yes, really. I LOVE this about the coffee maker.. no waiting, I think this is one feature everyone else also loves a lot about it.
- Variety. Seems that Keurig is the dominant player in the market, so there are a LOT of coffee choices out there for it, as well as hot chocolate and some other specialty drinks. Liz loves the Kahlua flavored coffee, and truthfully.. I don’t blame her.. some of these coffees smell unreal!
- Company. “Want a coffee”? Most people would say now immediately as they know the hassle of getting the filter, waiting for it to perk, etc..etc.. with this machine, it almost becomes a topic of discussion as you can ask what kind they want, and not have to worry about how long it takes to brew.. it only takes one minute (when the water is heated).
Ok I have to wrap this up – but I just wanted to put it out there that I love this machine right now, and judging by the amount of responses I received on my Facebook page once I posted that I purchased one, there are a LOT of people out there whom also love theirs. It’s almost like a little club of “closet” Keurig lovers… who knew?
I for one.. am very glad to join the club.. coffee anyone?